HaShavua ~ Nevonim
December 5, 2014 ~ Cheshvan 13, 5775
Here are some highlights from this week and last (shorter due to Thanksgiving):
- The rain give us an opportunity for more play, including getting very wet, splashing, sweeping, and drying water.
- Chanukah is here in 2 weeks, and we've begun exploring its aspects through art and song. We made our own building clay, shaped chanukiyot and other creations, and painted what we made. We sang both old and new Chanukah songs, including a song in Ladino. Lyrics are below, and here is how it sounds:
Hanukah linda sta aki, ocho kandelas para mi, Hanukah Linda sta aki, ocho kandelas para mi. O...Una kandelika, dos kandelikas, tres kandelikas,
kuatro kandelikas, sintyu kandelikas,
sej kandelikas, siete kandelikas, ocho kandelas para mi.
- Sewing continues to be interesting, with some children making head bands and repairing things in the kitah.
- Menachem visited to teach us about Ya'aqov and Esav and their reconciliation. Some of the children did a 'play' reenacting the this week's parashah to tell the story during Friday's Pretend Shabbat with our families.
- Firefighters visited with their truck! We learned about "Stop drop and roll," and how to be safe in case of a fire. Engine 1 Firehouse's firefighters did an outstanding job of educating our young firechiefs, presenting each one with a helmet. Everyone got to spray the hose, climb in the truck, and look at the tools firefighters use. The firefighters also talked to the children about having a meeting place outside the home in case of an emergency. This is something you may want to discuss as a family.
- Last week we made cranberry relish, sang "Thanks a Lot" with Melita, and talked about what we are thankful for.
Shabbat Shalom U'Mevorach!
Judy, Ruth, Anna, and Simone