September 19, 2015 ~ Elul 24, 5774
This week in Nevonim:
- We looked at apple branches, leaves, and fruit from Yael's tree. Some children did observational drawing.
- We heard Where the Wild Things Are and asked, "Where and when can we be wild?"
- We heard stories about cats since we often play at being kittens and cats!
- We ate round challah to get ready for Rosh HaShana.
- We made "Rude Vegetable Stew" (based on a book about root vegetables and Rosh HaShana called Talia and the Rude Vegetable Stew) and learned about tzedaka in the form of food.
- We visited the shul's giant food tzedaka box-the red barrel in the lobby. We added to it!
- Some of us planted apple seeds in cups, adding compost from our worm bin.
- We visited Hadas' aba Dan in his bucket truck as he installed street lights on University Ave! He told us about saving energy and showed us his special gear.
- We made and ate oogat d'vash-honey cake.
- We used round apple parts in painting to make prints.
- Melita visited us and we sang about bees and butterflies.
Songs we've been singing:
- Tapuchim ud'vash l'Rosh HaShana
- Dip the apple in the honey, say a bracha loud and clear,
Shana tova umetuka, for a happy sweet New Year.
(tune: Dreidel song)
- I have a little shofar, I blow it every day,
Oh, shofar, shofar, shofar, I blow it every day,
and when I hear it calling, for a sweet year I pray.
Shabbat Shalom U'mevorach!
Yehudit, Ruth, Anna, and Simone
- If you ordered honey for the preschool fundraiser, it is available in the front office!
- Tuesday, 9:15 Rosh Hashana Seder - Families Welcome!