May 6, 2013
26 iyar, 5773
Shalom Nachshonim Families,
We would like to fill you in on the highlights of the last couple of weeks in the kitah.
Teeras Cham continued
-We continue to read "Teeras Cham"/Hot Corn. We have been using our felt board pieces to tell the story.
- On Thursday a couple weeks ago we cooked corn pancakes with our food processor and electric skillet. We were inspired by the book "Teeras Cham" /Hot Corn to eat corn for snack.
- We pulled out our decorative corn from the closet for us to look at in the science area.
- Last week, on Wednesday at circle time we acted out "Teeras Cham" by letting the kids play the instruments that the characters in the story play. Then we marched through the kitah singing the song. "Bim Bam Bam! Teeras Cham! Teeras Cham! Bim Bam Bam!"
The last couple of weeks, we have had some of our favorite books in our reading corner.
-Caps For Sale.
-Where's My Teddy
-Duck on a Bike.
- Owl Tried to Sleep
-On Tuesday and Wednesday a couple of weeks ago, we played with Ooblek in the morning. The children played with dinosaurs in the Ooblek.
- We had visits from Melita on Tuesdays for a music lesson.
- On Wednesdays we had a visit from Cheryl for drama class. We acted out a story about animals that live on a very large tree in the rain forest. We also acted out a story about sea creatures. Some of the other things we do are sing and act out the songs, and lots of movement activities.
-Our children are very excited about our craft sticks. They have been popular since September, but now they are the biggest craze.
-We have pulled out the height chart we made in the fall. We stuck it back on the wall and we are measuring ourselves again to see how much the children have grown since the school year began.
- We made some finger paintings and drawings last week.
- Cheryl and the children acted out Humpty Dumpty in our drama clas onWednesday. Lauren then brought down a very large book with nursery rhymes and pictures for us to enjoy.
- We were sure to water our indoor and outdoor plants last week when the weather was so warm.
- We have been talking a lot about using inside voices at lunchtime and in the kitah.
- We have been telling stories at lunch and the children have been helping make them up as we go
- We took a field trip on Thursday last week. On our way over to Charlie Dor park, we walked by Tobie's house and she came out to greet us. We had a nice time climbing on the structure and the giant rocks and playing in the sand. We also checked out the construction trucks and workers on Addison Street that are working on the water pipes underground.
Shavuah Tov/ Have a lovely week
Ofra and Anna
Congregation Netivot Shalom
1316 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702
phone: 510/549.9447 ext. 110