Feb. 4, 2013
24 Shvat, 5773
We have been very busy in the kitah the last couple of weeks. This is information from the past, but it is not too late to let you know about what we were up to.
A couple of weeks ago was the week of Tu B'Shvat: Here are the highlights of our week, a couple of weeks ago.
exploring trees and plants
-We talked a lot about the upcoming chag/holiday of Tu B'Shvat. We sang lots of songs about trees.
- We continue to water our succulents in the window
- We began the process of sprouting sunflower seeds by soaking them in water overnight. We then sprinkled the soaked seeds over small containers of soil. The first few days the seeds were covered and the children helped water them every day to ensure that they grew.
- Laney and Ima Pamela gifted a very cool poster of a print that an artist made with the rings of a tree trunk.
- We noticed a similar pattern of rings in the wood in our science area.
-Ofra brought in carrot seeds that she had grown in her garden. We had a chance to see how the seeds look on the plant and we talked about how they were all once little flowers.
-We planted the carrot seeds in the planter box out in the play yard.
-We went out on a field trip to Strawberry Creek Park. We made the short stroll to the park. We had a chance to cross the bridge over the creek, play on the play ground and run around on the basketball courts. It also rained on us a little bit. Since we had been talking a lot about trees, we gathered a few sticks while we were there.
- We brought the sticks back to school and the children have been playing with them in the play dough.
- We had a Tu B'Shvat Seder. We went up to the art room and Rabbi Shalom Bochner led our Seder. We learned about the various foods that we eat on Tu B'Shvat.
-The children have been collaging at the easel by sticking scraps and bits of paper to wet paint.
Last week: Here are the highlights of last week in the kitah
exploring trees and plants.
-We observed that the sunflower seeds we soaked and placed on dirt were getting taller. We sprayed them with water everyday and soon, the first two leaves of the sprout turned green, which when they are ready to be eaten. We have been eating our sprouts we have grown. When we pull them out, we can see the roots that have grown in the dirt.
-We watered the seeds we had planted in the dirt the week before. We are still waiting for something to come up.
-We have been reading "The Carrot Seed" by Ruth Krauss. We will do what the little boy in the story did, we will keep watering and waiting.
-We are conducting an experiment that Tobie has suggested we try by placing the very top or a carrot in a dish of water. We are wondering if it will grow new green leaves.
-On Tuesday last week, a small group of children from the Nevonim kitah joined us for snack and music with Melita.
-We made paintings with paint and Q-tips on small sheets of paper.
-We have a new documentation board hanging in the hallway of outdoor activities. We have been gathering quotes from the children to write on the board.
-Colin joined us last Wednesday when Anna was out.
We are looking forward to more interesting activities, play and fun this week.
Ofra and Anna