July 6, 2012
16 Tamuz, 5772
Shalom Preschool Families,
Yet another week of learning, exploring and fun.
Here are the highlights of our week here in the kitah.
- We continue our explorations of food.
- We continued our discussion about different flavors of food. The children named of the flavors they were familiar with. The named sweet, savory, salty, sour, and bitter.
- After we talked about different flavors, we thought it would be appropriate to taste foods with these different flavors. On Thursday we had some taste testing. Then the children told us what kinds of flavors they tasted. We had raisins for matok/sweet, raw cacao for mareer/bitter, ginger for chareef/spicy, and salt for malu'ach/salty. We forgot to slice and taste the lemon for chamutz/sour! Hopefully we won't forget twice and we will have that experience next week.
-We have some great food related books currently in our library. One of our favorites is "Food For Thought", where the author makes animals and characters out of food.
-We baked oatmeal cookies on Tuesday for our friends at Helios Corner Apartments, where we visited on Thursday.
- On Friday we read "Bim and Bom", a story about Shabbat, mitzvot and baking challah.
-On Monday we made a large communal painting that we revisited a couple of times this week.
-We had a visit from Melita on Monday and we sang together.
- We continue to play with the wonderful model mishkan and various objects that Emah Stephanie has shared with us.
-At circle time, we set out the Meedbar/desert (a yellow piece of felt) and set up all these objects that go with the mishkan. We then looked at our book that has only images of the deserts in Israel. We talked about how Ofra will be flying to Israel this weekend to visit her family.
-We had a very pleasant filed trip to Helios Apartments to visit our friends who live there. We gifted them the cookies we made and did various activities when we were there. We did some art activities and we got to blow bubbles outside.
- We have been reading a couple of books related to senior centers and visiting them. One is "Say Hello Lilly" and the other is "Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge".
-We talked about the purpose of senior centers and how they might help people. We talked about how there in an elevator at Helios because climbing stairs can be tiring when you get older. We also talked about making new friends and neighbors.
More excitement to come!
Ofra and William